Something a little different today. I spent most of last night cooking with my family. We made this Warm Dark Chocolate and Pear Tart. I thought I would share this recipe on the blog today as it turned out to be a very nice dessert.
Now let me start by saying we did make the pastry from scratch last night. It was hard to get right but really delicious. If I was to make it again I would probably buy a ready made pastry case. So this is what I will write into the recipe as it is much simpler to do and takes much less time. It’s also not super sweet. If you like dark bitter chocolate then this is the perfect pudding for you. But if you don’t you could always try replacing the dark with milk chocolate for a much sweeter taste. You could also serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
- 1 ready made tart case
- 50g unsalted butter
- 4 pears
- 4 table spoons of orange juice
- 100ml double cream
- 130g plain chocolate
- 25g chopped almonds
- Peel, half and core the pears and poach for 3-5 minutes until soft and cooked through
- put on a plate and sprinkle a table spoon of orange juice over each pear and sprinkle them with sugar
- pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4
- when heated arrange the pears onto the pastry case and pop in the oven for 10 minutes until the pears cook a little more and the pastry heats through and goes golden.
- when warmed take out of the oven and set to one side to cool slightly.
- cube the butter and break up the chocolate into pieces.
- using a bain marie melt the chocolate with 1 tbsp water on a low heat. When the chocolate is melted add the butter. When the butter has melted in take it off heat, leave for a minute or so to cool slightly and slowly fold the cream into the chocolate.
- pour the chocolate mixture over the pears into the tart case.
- sprinkle the chopped almonds over the top of the to decorate and serve.
- If you want to add some sweetness then sprinkle a little sugar on the top of the tart. You could also serve with some vanilla ice cream if you want to.
Poached Pears covered in orange juice and sugar
Mixing the cream into the chocolate mixture
Cover the pears with the chocolate mix